Sorry for the 3rd post in a single day..but I seem to have squeezed a lot in. It must have been all that sunshine 😉
Today I made a hot bed in my tiny lean to greenhouse. I seem to be struggling to get much to germinate, as temperatures have been so low here in East Lincs UK. Apart from the sunshine today we have had an awful lot of snow and sleet.
I don’t really want to go down the fossil fuelled, paraffin heater solution or to have to pay for the use of electricity to heat the space, albeit small, so I decided to have a go at making a hot bed inside the greenhouse.
In theory it should be able to generate enough heat so that I am able to place seed trays on it to get the seedlings off to a good start. Well that’s the theory!
I started by digging out ALL the original soil in the one bed against the back wall. It was compacted and stony, so good riddance.
I will sieve out the stones over the weekend and add the soil to my compost bins.
I replaced this soil with three wheelbarrow loads of partially rotted compost and fresh-ish horse muck.
Steam rose as I dug it out and put it in the wheel barrow which was a promising start!
I shovelled this steaming compost mix into the ditch that I had dug out and added two boards, one above the other, along the front edge edge, in order to prevent all the manure mix from tumbling forward onto the concrete floor.
I then covered the hot manure mix with some horticultural fleece.. and just laid some of my seed trays on top of it. Simple!
It must be generating some heat as not long after I had completed it the clear lids on the trays had steam/ condensation inside them.
Tonight I covered the entire thing up with a sheet of clear polythene, weighed down with bricks at the corners. I shall remove this once the sun is up tomorrow.
So fingers crossed it may help warm things up. I will keep you posted.
..and now it is time for me to get into my bed..
with my hot water bottle.
Night all x